Tyre Safety in Winter: Advice from Bridgestone
As UK residents prepare to put their clocks back in readiness for the winter, Bridgestone is urging motorists to take some simple driving tips to stay as safe as possible as the nights grow longer.
With a drop in temperatures also being felt, Bridgestone is calling on motorists to adopt some simple driving habits to stay as safe as possible.
Bridgestone’s UK and Ireland Technical Manager Gary Powell: “Driving in winter conditions is something everyone must prepare for. It is not only about having the right tyres; the driver’s behaviour is also essential in these conditions as he or she needs to understand and adapt to different winter hazards.
“It is therefore crucial to not only prepare our vehicles, but also ourselves when the weather gets cold.”
Gary’s tips for motorists are below:
- Periodically check traction, or available grip, when driving in challenging conditions. Road conditions can change drastically in a short period of time or distance in winter. Apply the brakes with moderate pressure to determine the available grip and modify your driving, if needed, to respond to ever-changing road conditions.
- Under-inflated tyres not only compromise motorists’ ability to brake and manoeuvre safely, but they also consume more fuel and wear out faster. Information on the recommended tyre pressure can be found in the operating manual, on the inside of the door pillars or under your fuel cap.
- The legal minimum tread depth is 1.6mm. Insert a 20p coin in the tread; if you can see the border, it’s time to change the tyres.
- Maximise available grip by separating driving manoeuvres when negotiating a curve. Brake to an appropriate speed while travelling in a straight line prior to a curve. This allows you to use all the available grip for negotiating the curve. Accelerate gradually when you are able to straighten the steering wheel at the exit of the turn.
- Avoid cruise control in wet, icy or snowy conditions. Maintain control of acceleration and deceleration at all times.
- Avoid driving in bad weather conditions. Your safety comes first.
Meanwhile, Bridgestone boasts an all-weather tyre option which the company believes is the most appropriate for the unpredictable UK climate.
The Weather Control A005 EVO tyre has been designed to deliver year-round control, safety, and convenience – and has been reengineered to offer additional performance benefits.
From urban driving to country roads, the A005 EVO tyre is designed to meet the needs and expectations European drivers have for an all-season tyre and address the everyday challenges they face in different weather conditions.
It has been built using Bridgestone’s advanced, high silica NanoPro-tech™ compound technology. Bridgestone has combined the compound with a new mixing technology that improves its silica dispersion to give the A005 EVO excellent fuel efficiency and enhance its overall snow potential.
Alongside an optimised carcass construction and optimised contact pressure distribution, this enables the new tyre to be capable of handling everyday driving challenges across all four seasons without compromising on wear performance.