The main points within Construction and Use Regulation 27 are:
- The tyre must be suitable for the purpose the vehicle is being used.
- The tyre must be suitably inflated for the purpose the vehicle is being used.
- The tyre must not have a cut, in excess of 25mm or 10% of the tyre section width whichever is the greater, which is deep enough to reach the tyre’s internal structure.
- The tyre must not have a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure.
- The tyre must not have any ply or cord exposed.
- The tyre tread depth must be a minimum of 1mm measured in a band comprising the central 75% of the tread width and continuous around the tyre circumference.
- The tyre must be maintained in a condition so that it is fit for the purpose the vehicle or trailer is being used and must not have any defect which may cause danger to the road surface or damage to persons in or on the vehicle, or other road users.
FOR EACH AND EVERY TYRE OFFENCE THERE IS A MAXIMUM FINE OF £2,500, WITH DISCRETIONARY DISQUALIFICATION AND A COMPULSORY DRIVING LICENCE ENDORSEMENT OF 3 PENALTY POINTS